Visas and permits

NEWS: Fee payment for Danish residence permit applications

The Danish Immigration Service charges a fee for residence permit applications. You apply for a residence permit through either the Danish Immigration Service or the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI).

We would hereby like to stress to all our applicants to be aware of extra transfer and other bank and/or post office charges when transferring the application fee.

If the Danish authorities receive anything less than the full amount required for the residence permit application, the application will not be processed and applicants cannot expect to be notified.

We therefore urge all our applicants to proceed with great care when transferring the fee for their residence permit application.

Please visit for detailed instructions on the application process.

Who needs a permit?

Students from Nordic countries need no residence permit. Students with other nationalities must apply for a residence permit by submitting an application to the Danish embassy or consulate in their resident country at least 2-3 months before leaving for Denmark. We will provide the forms needed in order to apply. Students coming through Danida fellowship Centre will be guided from there.

A tourist visa or residence permit for Denmark gives the holder access to the Schengen area, that comprises Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Letvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

Below, you will find the general rules applicable to foreign citizens.

Students from Nordic countries

Citizens from Nordic countries, comprising Norway, Sweden, Finland, Iceland, do not need a visa or residence permit  for staying in Denmark. However, we encourage Nordic students to bring their 'inter-nordiske flyttepapirer' (inter-Nordic moving papers) from their home municipality.

Nordic students do not need a work permit for regular student jobs.  

Students from EU/EEA countries

Nationals from Nordic or EU/EEA countries can enter and stay in Denmark for up to 3 months without a visa. Nationals from the following countries do not need a visa for stays shorter than 3 months:

Andorra, Antigua & Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic Salvador, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guatemala, Honduras, Hong Kong (people with passports issued by "Hong Kong Special Administrative Region"), Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macao (people with passports issued by "Região Administrativa Especial de Macao"), Malaysia, Malta, Mauritius, Mexico, Monaco, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Salvador, San Marino, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, , United Kingdom, the United States, Uruguay, the Vatican City State, Venezuela.

If you are staying for longer than 3 months, you will need a residence permit that can be obtained upon arrival. Bring you passport, two passport photos  and your 'Letter of Admission' when you apply. 

Students from EU/EEA countries do not need a work permit for regular student jobs.  

Nationals from non-EU/EEA countries and non-Nordic countries 

Nationals from non-Nordic and non-EU/EEA countries need a visa to enter and stay in Denmark for up to 3 months. For stays of longer duration than 3 months, a residence permit is required. You will receive an online  application form for your residence permit, along with your 'Letter of Admission'. 

A residence permit for study  entitles the holder to work (for limited hours a week)  in Denmark.


You apply for a visa or residence permit at a Danish mission (embassy or consulate general) in your country of origin or the country where you have lived for the last 3 months. In countries where there is no Danish mission, you can apply at the mission of the Schengen country which represents Denmark in the country in question.

How to apply for a residence or work permit

Once you have paid your tuition fees, the programme admission will initiate the Danish residence permit online application and will email you the link to the application.  Upon receipt of the online application, you will have to create a case id number, pay the application fees, complete your part of the application,  submit documentation and do the  biometrics (facial photo and fingerprints) at the Danish missions, visa application centers (VFS) or countries representing Denmark.  Read about where to apply for residence permit in your country here

Read  about the residence/work permit application procedure here.


Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI)

Carl Jacobsens Vej 39, 2500 Valby

Tel.: +45 72 14 20 02