National Registration

If you are going to stay in Denmark for more than 3 months, you must register at  the Registration Office in the municipality in which you are going to live, as soon as you arrive in Denmark. If you move from another Nordic country or from an EU/EEA country, however, you can stay in Denmark for up to 6 months without registering.

When you register at the Registration Office, you get a cpr-number (personal identity number) and a Health Insurance Card. In Copenhagen the Registration Office is part of the Citizen Service Centre.

Address and opening hours of the Citizen Service Centre can be found here

When you register you must bring the following documentation:

  • Residence certificate or residence permit 

  • Passport 

  • Marriage certificate, if you are married 

  • Children's birth certificates, if you have children

  • Documentation for the following:

    • Your most recent address abroad

    • The date of changing your address

    • Your future address in Denmark

    • Marital status

    • The date of your wedding and the marriage authority

    • Membership of the Danish National Evangelical Lutheran Church or of an evangelical-Lutheran community abroad, if you are a member of such a church or community

    • Children, spouse and parents who are not included in your application

The cpr-number is used for registration and personal identification, e.g. when you buy a house or do banking or insurance transactions.

If you change address during your stay in Denmark, the Registration Office in the municipality you move to must be notified within five days after you move.

After your studies in Denmark are finished, and before you leave the country, you must notify your Registration Office, which will then cancel your personal registration card.